Sunday, August 16, 2009

Are We Ghetto Or What?

Whenever we gave Hannah a bath in the apartment we just filled a mixing bowl with water and poured it on her to rinse her. So of course, one of the first things we did when we moved into the new house was to install a hand held shower head specifically for Hannah's baths. Unfortunately the water pressure in our house is extremely high. After just a minute, the water pressure caused our tub spout to burst! Now how are we supposed to give Hannah a bath? Go back to our old ways???!!!Luckily our house does have another hand sprayer...in the kitchen. Because it would take a while to get the faucet fixed, we decided to resume Hannah's bath...in the kitchen sink. Crisis averted!
It turns out Hannah enjoys taking a bath in the kitchen sink way more than in a tub in the bathroom. So here's where we've been giving her a bath for almost three weeks now.

So what happened to the tub spout you ask? Don't pretend the suspense isn't killing you! Well, my first reaction was to call a plumber. But I soon realized that as a new homeowner I shouldn't make it a habit to immediately call a "professional" every time something seems like it's going wrong. Ultimately I need to man up and try fixing things myself. So I used my masculine intuition to figure out a solution: I asked Grandma. She told me the problem was not too difficult and after she gave me a brief explanation, I found out how to replace the spout and apply the caulk in more detail online here. Sure enough...the solution was pretty easy!

Man, figuring out how to fix the bathroom, running around town finding all the right parts, and actually replacing the spout and reapplying the caulk took at least half a day. That's four hours I could've spent pwning n00bs on Resident Evit 5 Mercenaries mode. Sheesh!! Owning a home sure is a lot of work...

No comments: